Useful informative article on Marketing Sherpa outlining a simple approach to using Net Promoter methodology in Business-Business context.
B-to-B marketers usually focus on lead generation, usually forgetting about the need for customer retention. This case study is how one company took a seven step approach to understanding customer sentiment and improving satisfaction. This initiative came from the marketing department, and used an online survey, much like CustomerGauge.
- Step #1. Create online survey
- Just two questions - based on Net Promoter Score (NPS): "If a friend or colleague asked you for a referral, how likely is it that you would recommend us..." with score 0 - 10, followed up if a promoter: "What did we do particularly well to earn your recommendation?" or if detractor/passive: "What would we need to do to earn a better recommendation?"
- Step #2. Email survey invitation
- Sent to b2b contacts in company database. Inviting to complete online survey, explaining that they could offer advice on how the company could improve its services. Goal: survey all clients 2x a year.
- Step #3. Target non-responders.
- Two weeks after initial survey, a reminder email sent to non-respondents. One week after that, a telephone call...
- Step #4. Compile survey scores.
- NPS methodology used. Scores by client, plus overall company scores.
- Step #5. Follow-up interviews:
- Dug deeper with people who gave negative comments. Also some random follow up with positive comments to understand "good stories".
- Step #6. Analyze results:
- Were problems strategic or operational? How best to address problems? Results presented back to all in company.
- Step #7. Send thank-you email.
- Directly to clients from CEO, outlining specific changes the company has made, or is making, as a result of feedback from the survey - closing loop with client.
RESULTSThe company's Net Promoter Score doubled in a year. Customer retention improved. Key to customer retention was better understanding. Survey response: 60 - 70%. Full article here
.Would you like to run a similar project in your company for b2b clients? CustomerGauge
is a useful tool to help companies with steps 1 -7. To get going you just need to have the confidence that a short survey will get you the answers you need, and the willingness to tackle the issues that the customers will give you! Call us if you need help or advice.
Get The Most Comprehensive B2B NPS and CX Benchmarks Report on The Planet
Get the eBook