US Net Promoter Benchmarks: A Topline View
Following the question What is a "good" Net Promoter Score?, benchmarks are one of the most popular Net Promoter-related topics that people ask about.
So for a quick topline view of how major US businesses are performing, we have published the below list of current scores and a few key points of interest.* The list offers a broad view of how industries and companies compare to one another, and is useful as a very loose point of comparison if you are in a related field - but please note that when comparing your performance to any of these businesses there are a number of factors that can affect the score.
Before we get right into it, some of the most interesting points of this year's findings include:
- In the financial services sector, 19 of the 22 banks represented showed increased scores compared to 2013. Bank of America increased its NPS by 20 points, and Discover ended perennial Net Promoter leader American Express’s six-year run as leader in the credit card category.
- Banks (+81 for leader USAA and -14 for HSBC) and Hotels (+59 for Westin compared to -15 for Hotel 6) had the widest score spread of any categories.
- Amazon investors will be happy to see that in the online shopping category, Amazon.com led the pack for the fifth year in a row with a score of +64, ahead of its wholly owned subsidiary, Zappos.com, which came in second place.
And without further ado, scroll down to see benchmark scores (in most cases, leading and trailing) in the following industries:
- Financial Services (Banks and Credit cards)
- Insurance (Automotive, Health, and Life)
- Technology (Tablets, Laptops, and Smartphones)
- Online Services (Entertainment and Online Shopping)
- Travel & Hospitality (Airlines, Travel websites, and Hotels)
- Communications (Cable, Mobile and Internet)
|Leading|| USAA|| +81|
|Second|| SunTrust|| +45|
|Trailing|| HSBC|| -14|
|Leading|| Discover|| +52|
|Second|| American Express|| +45|
|Trailing|| CitiGroup|| +18|
|Leading|| USAA|| +81|
|Improving|| State Farm|| +60|
|Leading|| State Farm|| +45|
|Second|| New York Life|| +35|
|Trailing|| Liberty Mutual|| +14|
|Leading|| Kaiser Permanente|| +40|
|Second|| Humana|| +32|
|Leading|| Apple|| +66|
|Second|| Kindle|| +59|
|Trailing|| Acer|| +28|
|Leading|| Apple|| +72|
|Second|| HP|| +46|
|Leading|| Apple|| +67|
|Second|| Samsung|| +54|
|Leading|| Pandora|| +56|
|Second|| Netflix|| +54|
|Trailing|| Blockbuster on Demand|| +11|
|Leading|| Amazon.com|| +64|
|Second|| Zappos.com|| +60|
|Trailing|| Google Shopping|| +19|
Travel & Hospitality
|Leading|| Southwest|| +62|
|Trailing|| US Airways|| -8|
|Leading|| TripAdvisor|| +46|
|Improving|| Hotels.com|| +36|
|Trailing|| Orbitz|| +20|
|Leading|| Westin|| +59|
|Trailing|| Motel 6|| -15|
Cable/satellite TV service
|Leading|| DirecTV|| +34|
|Trailing|| ComCast|| -3|
|Trailing|| Time Warner Cable|| -5|
Mobile service provider
|Leading|| TracFone|| +39|
|Second|| Cricket|| +34|
|Trailing|| Sprint|| +5|
Internet service provider
|Leading|| Brighthouse Networks|| +20|
| Trailing|| Medicacom|| -22|
Open-sourced NPS Benchmark website:
As of October 7th, 2014, we have launched the first publicly available and open-sourced Net Promoter Score® benchmark website.
If you want to learn more, check it out: www.npsbenchmarks.com
Receive upcoming Net Promoter benchmarks
updates in your email!
*Source: Net Promoter Industry Benchmarks, SatMetrix
Discover How Account Experience Can Help Scale Your B2B CX Program!